This month, I’m on a mission to learn everything I can about creating and selling a stellar physical product. That’s why today I’m talking to Tom Montgomery, co-founder of a hugely successful clothing company with a massive fan following, Chubbies Shorts.
Tom and his friends had a problem: Mainstream men’s fashion didn’t offer much variety when it came to shorts. They craved options with more personality, designed for all kinds of bodies. With help from word-of-mouth marketing and a totally unique brand voice, Chubbies quickly grew a devoted following, all without sacrificing their one-of-a-kind vision for building community.
In this episode, Tom offers a glimpse into Chubbies’s content creation process and how they’ve built such a loyal customer base. You’ll also hear why they avoid getting “sales-y” on social media, their most successful campaigns to date, and tips for finding a unique brand voice of your own. As a newcomer to the world of physical products, I learned so much sitting down with Tom, and I know you will too. Listen and enjoy!
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Ask a question over on AskPat.com.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe on iTunes or download our mobile app.
Special thanks to Tom for joining me this week. Until next time!
Download the Transcript
Read through the whole episode, from start to finish.
Download the MP3 Audio File
Listen to the episode however you like with the audio file.
- What makes Chubbies’s brand voice so unique, and so effective as a marketing tool.
- How Chubbies attracted a record-breaking 350 million video views last year.
- The frustration that inspired four friends to create a retail clothing company.
- Strategies for finding an authentic writing voice for your content marketing.
- Why Chubbies trusts community relationships to create demand for their product.
- What happens when you use social content to build community rather than sell.
- Advice for maintaining control in the uncontrollable world of entrepreneurship.
- How Chubbies uses fan-generated social content in their marketing strategy.
- The hilarious ad spot that put Chubbies on the map, and more!
- Chubbies on Instagram
- “How do we add men’s synchronized swimming to the summer games?” video
- Hey Whipple, Squeeze This [Full Disclosure: As an affiliate, I receive compensation if you purchase through this link.]